Safety razors have evolved dramatically over the past century, and we’re extremely proud that Gillette has been at the forefront of this innovation.
In 1903, we introduced the world’s first two-piece safety razor, which had a thin, strong, sharp double-edged blade attached to a reusable razor handle.
Fast-forward to 1971, and we pushed razor innovation one step further, launching the first safety razor with twin blades, before enhancing this with a pivoting head in 1977 to deliver an even closer shave.
In 1998, we launched Gillette Mach3, the first safety razor with three-blade technology, later enhancing this model with the Mach3 Turbo, which includes extra lubricants and a larger skin guard for a smoother, closer, safer shave.
Gillette’s innovation spans more than a century, and our current safety razors offer better precision, performance and protection than ever. Here’s why you should still use a Gillette safety razor today, over 115 years after their introduction:
What is a Safety Razor?
A safety razor is a razor with added protection in between the blade and your skin, such as a skin guard or some extra lubrication.
This enhanced protection is there to protect your skin from irritation such as razor bumps and ingrown hairs during shaving.
How to Use a Safety Razor
There are a few things you should bear in mind when using a safety razor:
- Use it alongside a shaving gel or shaving foam to lubricate your face even more for a seriously smooth, comfortable shave
- Clean your razor after every few strokes by rinsing it under the tap, letting the water run from the back to the front of your safety razor blades. Find out more about caring for your razor here
- Make sure you don’t tap your razor on the side of the sink or wipe it on a towel, as this can damage the intricate design that makes it so effective
- Always finish with a post-shave routine to get the very best results
- Store your razor correctly when you’ve finished shaving to help it to stay in the best condition – if your razor came with a holder, use that