‘Hair or no hair?’ – that is the question on many girls’ minds. But whether you like it au naturel, landscaped or fully mowed – what you do with your pubic hairs is ultimately down to you.
In fact, when it comes to shaving pubic hair, there’s no right or wrong answers. But with so many pubic hairstyles to choose from, you might need a little help deciding which style is best for you.
So, whether you’re learning how to shave down there for the first time or are a confident shaver looking to try something new, read on to discover our top tips on how to do pubic hairstyling like a pro.
Choosing the Best Pubic Hairstyles for You
From France to Hollywood via Bermuda, who would have thought pubic hairstyle shaving would be so, ehm… all over the place?
Truth is, shaving pubic hair has been popular worldwide since 3000 BCE, and archaeologists have found evidence of women from India to Egypt and Rome using rudimentary shaving tools to groom their pubes to perfection. So, if you thought trimming pubic hair was a modern invention, think again!
Ready to find out how to get a French, Hollywood or Bermuda triangle shave? Here’s what these popular women’s pubic hairstyles look like and how they became so trendy.
But first, here’s a few tips before you shave your pubic area:
- Always use a sharp razor, older blades may tug and pull, creating unnecessary friction to this already sensitive area.
- Soften your hair and skin by taking a hot shower or bath, this will hydrate your skin and hair, making shaving easier.
- Exfoliate the area gently to exfoliate the skin and release trapped hairs before shaving, this helps your razor glide better.
Hollywood is What You Make of It
The Hollywood shave is a totally clean shave, meaning you’ll be left with no pubic hairs in sight! This includes shaving all the hairs on your pubic area, in between your legs and between your buttocks too.
Wondering why this pubic hairstyle is called the ‘Hollywood’? Well, it turns out a lot of Los Angelinos in the Hollywood hills enjoyed going full bare, plus, let’s face it, saying you want a Hollywood shave or wax sounds pretty glam too!
Whilst waxing is a popular way of removing all hairs from your pubic region, some might prefer not to place hot wax near their private areas, which is perfectly understandable. That’s where shaving tools like razors for pubic hair and bikini trimmers can come in handy! Here’s how to shave Hollywood style:
- Apply shaving gel to the area and shave using steady strokes in the direction of your hair growth.
- For a closer shave, you may want to try shaving against the grain, but ensure you apply extra shaving gel and that you use fewer strokes to avoid irritation.
- To get to those hard-to-reach spots like in between your buttocks, prop your leg up and hold your buttcheek taut with the other hand, this will help your razor glide more smoothly.
Top tip: for a great Hollywood shave minus the unsightly ingrown hairs or razor bumps use razors fitted with a defence bar. Our Gillette Venus Pubic Hair & Skin Razor is specifically designed with a patented Irritation Defence Bar so you can shave your pubic hair safely and with ease.